The Michigan Indigent Defense Commission submitted the first set of standards for indigent defense delivery systems to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) on February 6, 2017. These standards involve education and training, the initial client interview, experts and investigators, and counsel at first appearance and other critical stages in front of a judge. Read More
SADO made front page headlines in the Detroit Free Press Thursday (2/9/2017) with a story highlighting the growing success our attorneys are having in representing juveniles once sentenced to die behind bars. So far, 50 Michigan prisoners, many of them SADO clients, have been re-sentenced, in keeping with recent United States Supreme Court rulings that it is unconstitutional to send children to prison for life. Five have been released on parole. Read More
SADO's Juvenile Lifer Unit Secures Term of Years Sentences for Clients formerly Sentenced to Life Without Parole
Michigan's Juvenile Lifers--individuals sentenced to mandatory life without parole for offenses they committed as children age 17 years old or under--are entitled to resentencing following Montgomery v Louisiana, __ US __; (Docket No. 14-280, issued 1/25/16), and pursuant to the procedures set forth in MCL 769.25a. In July 2016, prosecutor offices around the state filed motions seeking the re-imposition of life without parole sentences for approximately 229 of Michigan's approximately 363 juvenile lifers. Resentencing hearings will take place over an expanded period of time. In these cases, the prosecution will continue to seek the re-imposition of a life sentence while defense counsel will seek the imposition of a term of years sentence, the minimum of which can be between 25 to 40 years and the maximum of which is 60 years, pursuant to MCL 769.25a. Read More
View Past Stories
- From Other States: February, 2017
- Surveillance News: February, 2017
- Local Success: January, 2017
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: November, 2016
- From the Michigan Supreme Court: Michigan Supreme Court Implements Prisoner E-filing Pilot Program
- From Our Readers: Give Them the Key or Throw Them Away
- Legislative Update: Juvenile Lifer Update
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: New Trial in St. Clair County
- 03.24.2017 CAP - Treatment Facilities &...
- 05.03.2017 NACDL - Making Sense of Scie...
- 05.16.2017 SADO - Informational Session...
- 05.18.2017 SADO/MAACS - SADO/MAACS Appe...
- 07.22.2017 CDAM - CDAM’s Summer Trainin...