The State Appellate Defender is pleased to announce that Brad Hall has been hired as Administrator of the Michigan Appellate Assigned Counsel System (MAACS). MAACS oversees the private assigned counsel roster providing approximately 70% of appellate representation, as a counterpart to the cases assigned to the State Appellate Defender Office (SADO). Mr. Hall will work with MAACS staff from an office in Lansing. MAACS was recently consolidated with SADO for management purposes, pursuant to Michigan Supreme Court Read more
Popular Guide Updated and Available for Purchase Now
We are always developing products to assist the Criminal Defense Community and are pleased to announce that we have developed the Defender Sentencing Guidelines Manual Annotated, a small companion to our Defender Plea, Sentencing, and Post-Conviction Book. The Defender Sentencing Guidelines Manual Annotated is a slim (7” x 8.5”), approximately 60 page (double-sided) soft-bound pamphlet, containing basic law about the Michigan Sentencing Guidelines, all applicable grids, and caselaw (published and relevant unpublished caselaw through July, 2013), organized by variable for quick reference. The Manual is printed and ready to ship! Your cost is only $10. Use our revised subscription form to order today, or contact Read more
Manual Designed for Attorneys to Help Incarcerated Clients
The State Appellate Defender Office is pleased to announce the release of their latest manual, intended to aid counsel in navigating the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) on behalf of their clients who are incarcerated. The principal author of this Guide is Jessica Zimbelman, an Assistant Defender with SADO since 2012. Prior to joining SADO, Jessica worked for the Legislative Corrections Ombudsman, monitoring the Michigan Department of Corrections on behalf of the State Legislature. Read more
Four Dates Scheduled in 2015 for Detroit and Lansing
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of appealing a conviction and how an appeal is different from the trial or plea proceedings, and will inform attendees on the visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate and stay connected with your incarcerated loved ones, and more. Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: Appealing the Denial of Remand - October, 2014
- DUI Defense: DUI Defense: Is Drinking After Driving a Viable Defense to DUI in Michigan? - November, 2014
- Public Defense Update: Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS) - November, 2014
- Spotlight On: Gary M. Wilson - November, 2014
- Reports and Studies: Brain Waves May Aid in Criminal Investigations - October, 2014
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Failure to Retain Y-STR DNA Expert - November, 2014
- From Other States: November, 2014
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: November, 2014
- Surveillance News: Whisper Social Media App - November, 2014
- Local Success: F. Martin Tieber and Kristoffer W. Tieber - November, 2014
- From Our Readers: What to do When the Department of Corrections Points out That Your Client Should be Serving a 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence as a Fourth Habitual Offender? - June, 2014
- 12.10.2014 Video: Interstate Compact and ...
- 11.25.2014 Video: Michigan Legislative, C...
- 11.25.2014 Video: Suppression Motions
- 11.18.2014 Video: MAACS 2014 Fall Trainin...
- 10.07.2014 Video: CBS News: Eyewitness Te...
- 01.09.2015 CDRC - Internet and Tech Tips ...
- 01.11.2015 NACDL - 35th Annual Advanced C...
- 01.20.2015 OCBA - Trial Tactics; Voir Dir...
- 02.17.2015 OCBA - Trial Tactics: Direct a...
- 02.18.2015 ABA/NACDL - 2015 Midwinter Me...