Next session: Thursday August 6, 2015 at 5:30 pm in Detroit
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of appealing a conviction and how an appeal is different from the trial or plea proceedings, and will inform attendees on the visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate and stay connected with your incarcerated loved ones, and more. Read more
Public Hearing Scheduled for August 18, 2015 at 1:00 pm in Lansing
The Michigan Indigent Defense Commission (MIDC) published its first set of Proposed Minimum Standards for the local delivery of indigent criminal defense services throughout the state. The four standards cover the following areas: (1) Education and Training of Defense Counsel, (2) Initial Attorney/Client Interview, (3) Investigation and Expert Witnesses, and (4) Timing for Appointment of Counsel. Read More
A bill that would create a presumption of parole (HB 4138) and a bill that would eliminate the 2-year mandatory minimum sentence for a felony firearm conviction (HB 4419), were introduced in the House on June 16, 2015. The House Criminal Justice Committee voted 8-1 to report a bill to the House Floor that establishes a statutory presumption of parole under certain circumstances. Read More
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Technical Tips: Free Anti-Virus Software
- Practice Note: Appealing the Denial of Remand - October, 2014
- Reports and Studies: May, 2015
- Spotlight On: Alanna P. O'Rourke - May, 2015
- DUI Defense: DUI Defense: Lower Legal Limit but More Limited - June, 2015
- Public Defense Update: Public Defense Update - Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS) - June, 2015
- From Other States: May, 2015
- Legislative Update: Legislative and Policy Updates - May, 2015
- Surveillance News: ACLU Phone App Records Police Contact - May, 2015
- Local Success: Charlotte Steffen-Ramirez - May, 2015
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: April, 2015
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Suppression of Evidence After OWI Stop - January, 2015
- From Our Readers: What to do When the Department of Corrections Points out That Your Client Should be Serving a 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence as a Fourth Habitual Offender? - June, 2014
- 07.31.2015 MCOLES - Advanced Topics in ...
- 08.04.2015 MCOLES - Juvenile Competency...
- 08.06.2015 SADO - Informational Session...
- 08.07.2015 MCOLES - Juvenile Competency...
- 08.10.2015 CDAM - 2015 Criminal Defense...