Openings for two Assistant Defenders, one Paralegal and one General Clerk
The State Appellate Defender Office (SADO) is now hiring two Assistant Defenders to provide legal representation to indigent criminal defendants on appeal. Openings at SADO’s Detroit and/or Lansing locations; earliest start date of June 1, 2015. Starting salary range for entry-level: $50-55k. Attorneys with 5 or more years of criminal defense experience may apply; salary dependent on experience. Fringe benefits include health, dental, 401k, and 12 paid holidays. Read more
Appellate Defender Commission Selects Attorneys Michael A. Faraone and Christine Pagac as 2014 Award Recipients
Mr. Faraone was selected as the Levine Award recipient not only for his excellent service to his MAACS roster clients since 1992, but also for his extraordinary work in the case of People v. Levon Lee Bynum, 496 Mich. 610 (2014). Christine Pagac was selected as a recipient of the Thomas Award for her recent representation of two clients in successful exonerations, and she joined each of them for their release from prison. Read more
The State Appellate Defender Office is pleased to announce that Marilena David-Martin has been named the Manager of SADO's Criminal Defense Resource Center. Marilena is a dedicated appellate attorney at the State Appellate Defender Office. From 2009 to 2012, she launched and managed SADO’s Crime Lab Unit, a federal grant funded unit tasked with analyzing the impact of potentially faulty Detroit Crime Lab evidence on criminal convictions following the shocking 2008 Detroit Crime Lab closure. The Crime Lab Unit was highly successful, obtaining new trials for five clients. As an Assistant Defender, Marilena has achieved outstanding results for her clients, including exceptional resentencing results where she successfully advocate Read more
Four Dates Scheduled in 2015 for Detroit and Lansing
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of appealing a conviction and how an appeal is different from the trial or plea proceedings, and will inform attendees on the visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate and stay connected with your incarcerated loved ones, and more. Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: Appealing the Denial of Remand - October, 2014
- DUI Defense: DUI Defense: Is Drinking After Driving a Viable Defense to DUI in Michigan? - November, 2014
- Public Defense Update: Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS) - November, 2014
- Reports and Studies: January, 2015
- Spotlight On: Laurel Kelly Young - January, 2015
- From Other States: December, 2014
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: January, 2015
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Suppression of Evidence After OWI Stop - January, 2015
- Local Success: Melissa K. Wangler - January, 2015
- Surveillance News: Whisper Social Media App - November, 2014
- From Our Readers: What to do When the Department of Corrections Points out That Your Client Should be Serving a 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence as a Fourth Habitual Offender? - June, 2014
- 03.05.2015 Video: The Interrogation Roo...
- 03.04.2015 Video: Earl Washington Case ...
- 02.03.2015 Video: Appellate Timeline Tr...
- 01.27.2015 Video: Catherine Crump: The ...
- 12.10.2014 Video: Interstate Compact an...
- 04.16.2015 NACDL - 8th Annual Forensic ...
- 04.30.2015 ABA/NACDL - 6th Annual Post...
- 05.15.2015 ABA/NACDL - 1-day Conferenc...
- 06.17.2015 NACDL - 5th Annual West Coas...
- 07.11.2015 CDAM - 2015 Summer Training