Watch the 8-20-15 Training Video Here
On August 20, 2015, State Appellate Defender Office (SADO) sentencing expert, Anne Yantus, and Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan (CDAM) member and accomplished practitioner, Margaret S. Raben, discussed the implications of the Michigan Supreme Court's July 29, 2015 decision in People v Lockridge __ Mich __ (Docket No. 149073) before a live audience in Detroit at the State Appellate Defender Office. The training was simultaneously broadcast to nearly 200 practitioners via an online webinar. Read More
In People v Lockridge, ___ Mich ___ (Docket No. 149073, 7/29/15), the Michigan Supreme Court concluded that the Michigan sentencing guidelines create a mandatory minimum sentence range that violates the rule of Apprendi v New Jersey, 530 US 466 (2000), and Alleyne v United States, 133 S Ct 2151 (2013), and thus violates the Sixth and Fourteenth Amendments, because the sentencing scheme uses judicial fact-finding in the scoring of the offense variables. Learn how this decision affects felony sentencing in Michigan moving forward. Read More
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Technical Tips: Free Anti-Virus Software
- Reports and Studies: June, 2015
- Spotlight On: Takura N. Nyamfukudza - June, 2015
- DUI Defense: DUI Defense: Study Supports New Sobriety Tests For Suspected Drunk Boaters - July-August, 2015
- Public Defense Update: Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS) - July-August, 2015
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: New Trial Ordered in Impaired Driving Conviction - July-August, 2015
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: Online Brief Bank - July-August, 2015
- Surveillance News: Facebook ‘Moments’ Program - June, 2015
- Local Success: Jennifer J. France - June, 2015
- From Other States: June, 2015
- Legislative Update: Legislative and Policy Updates - May, 2015
- 08.28.2015 CAP - Negotiating Plea Agree...
- 09.11.2015 CAP - Michigan Indigent Defe...
- 09.15.2015 OCBA - Anatomy of a Criminal...
- 09.18.2015 CAP - Search & Seizure
- 09.19.2015 CDAM - 2015 Trial College: ...