Effective January 12, 2015
Effective January 12, 2015, the Legislature broadened the list of those who may petition for expungement, but it also narrowed the list of eligible offenses. Writing on top of a statute that was amended previously in 2011, the Legislature has now created a set of rules that appear complicated at first glance. In reality, the rules are not especially difficult and the changes are mostly positive. Read more
Effective April 2015
The Committee on Model Criminal Jury Instructions issued modified instructions to be used in certain first-degree criminal sexual conduct cases. Read more.
Next session: Thursday August 6, 2015 at 5:30 pm in Detroit
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of appealing a conviction and how an appeal is different from the trial or plea proceedings, and will inform attendees on the visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate and stay connected with your incarcerated loved ones, and more. Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: Appealing the Denial of Remand - October, 2014
- Public Defense Update: Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS) - November, 2014
- DUI Defense: DUI Defense: New Article Supports National Push to Make PBT Results Admissible as Evidence - But Not So Fast - April, 2015
- Reports and Studies: April, 2015
- Spotlight On: John F. Royal - April, 2015
- From Other States: December, 2014
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: April, 2015
- Surveillance News: April, 2015
- Local Success: Michael L. Steinberg - April, 2015
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Suppression of Evidence After OWI Stop - January, 2015
- From Our Readers: What to do When the Department of Corrections Points out That Your Client Should be Serving a 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence as a Fourth Habitual Offender? - June, 2014
- 03.05.2015 Video: The Interrogation Roo...
- 03.04.2015 Video: Earl Washington Case ...
- 02.03.2015 Video: Appellate Timeline Tr...
- 01.27.2015 Video: Catherine Crump: The ...
- 12.10.2014 Video: Interstate Compact an...
- 06.06.2015 SBM - Mental Illness and Inc...
- 06.16.2015 OCBA - Anatomy of a Criminal...
- 06.17.2015 NACDL - 5th Annual West Coas...
- 07.11.2015 CDAM - 2015 Summer Training
- 07.17.2015 MCOLES - Sentencing Law Upda...