Dozens of Resources Identified in Communites around Michigan
As part of a grant awarded to the State Appellate Defender
Office, SADO is pleased to announce a new reentry database on our website identifying
resources in communities around the State of Michigan. Designed for defendants with a real
possibility of a community sanction at sentencing or those reentering the
community post-sentence, the database will put people in touch with a variety
of resources including but not limited to employment, housing, education, drug
and alcohol treatment, mental health, and financial planning. Defense attorneys can use the database to
identify appropriate resources for a sentencing plan. Within the database, the services can be
isolated by county and refined by various criteria including
SADO Congratulates Assistant Defender Marilena David-Martin Recipient of the 2014 Regeana Myrick Outstanding Young Lawyer Award
The State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section presented Marilena David-Martin with the Regeana Myrick Outstanding Young Lawyer Award on Saturday, May 31, at the Radisson Hotel in Lansing. The award is named for Regeana Myrick, who was a very active member of the SBM Young Lawyers Section Executive Council when she died in 1997. It is presented annually to a young lawyer in Michigan who has demonstrated many of her best qualities, including an overwhelming commitment to public service, exemplary service to the State Bar, and exceptional professional accomplishments. Marilena has been a member of SADO since 2007 when she began an internship with Assistant Defender Valerie Newman as a first year law student and soon after joined the st Read more
Next Sessions are September 10 in Lansing and September 11 in Detroit
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of a criminal appeal, visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate with an inmate housed in the MDOC, and will provide a list of basic resources for clients and their families. Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: New Apprendi Ruling on Fines Has Potential Michigan Application
- Public Defense Update: June, 2013
- Reports and Studies: False Memories Study - June, 2013
- DUI Defense: November, 2013 - If Breath Alcohol Can’t be Measured, It Doesn’t Exist
- Spotlight On: Robert S. Whims
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Failure to Advise of SORA Registration Requirement
- From Other States: From Other States - November, 2013
- Surveillance News: Surveillance News - November, 2013
- From Our Readers: Presenting A “Statute Of Limitations” Defense - July, 2013
- Local Success: Grosse Pointe Woods Municipal Court
- 07.22.2014 Video: Prison - Last Week Toni...
- 06.26.2014 Video: SBM Criminal Law Sectio...
- 06.25.2014 Video: Shaka Senghor: Why Your...
- 06.24.2014 Video: Daniel Reisel: The Neur...
- 06.16.2014 Video: The Word - Debt or Pris...
- 07.25.2014 CDAM - 2014 Summer Training
- 07.30.2014 NACDL - 57th Annual Meeting & ...
- 07.31.2014 CDRC - Master Class: Preservin...
- 08.13.2014 CDRC - 2014 Criminal Defense T...
- 09.16.2014 OCBA - Interpreters and Signin...